As of four P.M. this afternoon, four of the five Red Sox pitchers in their opening day rotation are no longer on the team.
- The only one left is Clay Buchholz.
Nolan Reimold homered twice.
Via @aceofmlbstats, Ben Revere and Miguel Cabrera now each have eleven three-hit games this season.
Wade Davis allowed an extra-base hit.
- It was his first XBH allowed this season.
– Kurt Suzuki hit it.
This double play happened in Pirates/Giants.
- It happened right after a walk, too. So the Pirates made two outs on one play, when that play was a walk.
– The Giants scoring seven runs at home is YCPB at this point.
Brett Gardner homered to lead off the game again.
- He has seven home runs in July; Robinson Cano has seven home runs all year. (h/t @ktsharp)
– Colby Lewis threw seven innings, and has two quality starts against the Yankees – compared to two quality starts against everyone else, combined.
Jeurys Familia RBI.
- He’s a relief pitcher.
In Mariners/Indians, with Felix starting, a pitcher threw a “Maddux” (a complete game with less than 100 pitches)…
- and it wasn’t Felix Hernandez; it was Corey Kluber.
Brett Gardner hit his thirteenth home run of the season tonight.
- He now has more home runs than anyone on the Yankees except for Mark Teixiera. Via @jondoesnotexist, he now has more than Yasiel Puig, Jayson Werth, Evan Longoria, Buster Posey, Mike Napoli, and Matt Holliday.
– J.P. Arencibia came into the game hitting .152; he had two home runs including a grand slam off of Dellin Betances and seven RBI by the seventh inning.
— The Yankees scored seven runs in an inning.
Mark Reynolds sacrifice bunt.
Emilio Bonifacio home run!
The Marlins have won nine of ten and are now a .500 team.
Jason Lane started today for the Padres.
- His last start was August 20, 2007…
– and in that start, he was a center fielder.
— Lane got the loss today, but he pitched well: 6 IP, 2 R.
—- He also had a hit.
Brett Gardner hit two home runs
- Off Yu Darvish.
– He also singled – that was his first non-homer hit off Darvish ever.
— The Yankees still lost.
—- The other players Darvish has allowed four homers to in his career are Brandon Moss and Mike Trout.
On July 21, the Red Sox beat the Blue Jays 14-1. Tonight, the Blue Jays beat the Red Sox 14-1.
- Additionally, both these shellackings took place at the home stadium of the team that lost big.
– Only one Blue Jay homered, and it was Melky Cabrera – who homered twice.
— There have been three nine-run innings this year, and the Blue Jays have two of them. (h/t @brendan_97)
In their history as a franchise, the Diamondbacks are 12-0 in games that go 15+ innings.
Francisco Cervelli home run!
- The Blue Jays won a series at Yankee Stadium.
– It’s their first series win at the Stadium in two years.
Jimmy Nelson got his first Major League hit.
- He’d be 0-for-66.
Sam Fuld homered.
- As did Adam Rosales.
At one point, Chris Young doubled in four straight at-bats.
The Blue Jays won a game at Yankee Stadium.
- Dan Johnson – yes, he’s still around – homered.
Billy Butler has homered in back-to-back games.
- That brings his total on the year to… five.
Jordany Valdespin also homered.
- As did Ike Davis.
Sean Doolittle walked someone
- It was Robinson Chirinos.
– Meanwhile, the A’s had one hit through seventeen batters. Then, in six batters, they hit four home runs.
Matt Adams tripled.
- He’s tied for the team lead in triples.
– With Peter Bourjos!
The Arizona starter gave up six runs in just 2.2 innings, and Arizona was facing Cliff Lee.
- Arizona won.
– Nick Evans home run.
Raul Ibañez tripled.
- It’s his third of the season.
– He’s 42 years old.
Freddie Freeman also tripled.
- It was his fourth of the year.
Ichiro Suzuki hit a home run.
- The Blue Jays have lost 17 games in a row at Yankee Stadium..
– and they had a lead in 12 of them (via @trevorsthoughts).
Michael Morse infield single.
Ryan Raburn did this.
- It led to an inside-the-park home run by Mike Moustakas.
– Corey Kluber pitched nine innings, struck out 10, walked none, and won’t get a win.
The Padres scored nine runs in one inning.
- That’s tied for the most any team has scored in any inning this season.
– Jeff Francoeur has walked in two games in a row!
Delmon Young homered.
So did JP Arencibia.
Bartolo Colon took a perfect game into the seventh inning.
Yu Darvish balked in a run.
- Brett Gardner has two home runs off of Darvish in seven at-bats.
– It took the Yankees 14 innings to win last night; it took them four and a half to win tonight.
— Via @ktsharp, tonight is the first time Yankees won a game that was called in the bottom of 5th inning since September 17, 1969.
Joba Chamberlain, RP, got to bat.
Jose Molina doubled.
- Via @souperutil, it’s his first extra-base hit off of a right-handed pitcher all season (133 ABs).
Twice in a week, Brian McCann has reached base on an infield pop-up that the infielders let fall between them.
- Brian Roberts was IBBed.
– It worked.
— JP Arencibia homered.
Chris Perez walked four batters
- in a row.
Adam Wainwright walked James Loney with the bases loaded.