- It’s June 15 and the Pirates are above .500!
– They’re actually just 3.5 games out of first place in the NL Central. Yowza.
- The Yankees beat the Rangers 12-4 again. Andruw Jones, Ramiro Pena, Eduardo Nunez, and Francisco Cervelli were all in the lineup.
– Ramiro Pena and Eduardo Nunez homered.
— So far this year, the Rangers have given up home runs to Ramiro Pena, Eduardo Nunez, Francisco Cervelli, and the current mostly powerless edition of Derek Jeter. That group has six total home runs, and five are against Texas.
—- This happened
—– Combined, Curtis Granderson and Mark Teixeira have 42 home runs. That’s more home runs than the entire teams of the Astros, Padres, Twins, and Athletics.
- The Marlins have gone 1-14 in June.
– They had the fourth-best record in baseball when the month began, and now they’re in last place in their division.
— They played the Phillies in a doubleheader today. The Phillies won more games today than the Marlins have won all month.
—- Roy Halladay gave up four runs to them tonight, and they had a lead going into the bottom of the ninth.
—– They still lost.
—— Kyle Kendrick pitched 7 IP of one-run ball against them in the day game.
- Michael Cuddyer had three stolen bases tonight.
– The Twins have won 10 of 12… and they still have the third worst record in baseball.
- The night after James Shields threw a complete game shutout against the Red Sox, Josh Beckett threw a complete game shutout against the Rays tonight.
– The only baserunner was an infield single
— By Reid Brignac and his 19 OPS+ (!!!!!!!!!!!).
- Beckett didn’t have the only complete game shutout tonight. The other one? Livan Hernandez.
– The Nationals beat the Cardinals 10-0.
— Two home runs by Michael Morse helped.
- Hey, the Indians won.
– And they scored six runs and everything!
— They’re back in first.
—- thanks to friend of the blog @bkabak, Austin Jackson went 0-for-4 in this game… and didn’t strike out.