- Jeff Karstens threw a complete game shutout. It was against the Astros, but still, Jeff Karstens! Complete game shutout!
– His ERA is now 2.34. Of course, almost nothing has changed in his peripherals outside of his BABIP (and therefore hit rate) and LOB% from last year, when his ERA was 4.92.
— This complete game shutout win, combined with losses by the Cardinals and the Brewers, means… yep…
- FIRST PLACE PITTSBURGH PIRATES!!!!!!!! I feel like we should retire the site because clearly nothing will ever top this. But we won’t.
- By the way, Karstens threw that complete game shutout on only 83 pitches. That’s the lowest nine-inning complete game pitch count since a pitcher did it in 2009 with 80.
– That pitcher was Luke Hochevar.
- Justin Verlander finally proved he’s mortal, giving up five runs in six innings, against… the White Sox?
- the Rays beat the Red Sox despite a meh outing from David Price in which he surrendered three home runs – to Dustin Pedroia (okay), Jacoby Ellsbury (having a great year, but lefties don’t homer off Price often), and Darnell McDonald (??? !!!).
– Marco Scutaro homered later.
— Again, the Red Sox lost. Then again, perhaps this was to be expected in an David Price vs. Andrew Miller matchup.
- John Mayberry Jr. has set career-highs in RBIs in… his last two games.
– This guy is still not his dad.
- Ahem. FIRST PLACE PITTSBURGH PIRATES!!!!!!!