CLIFF LEE WON A GAME!
- The Phillies didn’t score a run till the seventh inning, and they ended up winning 9-2.
– Chase Utley even hit a home run!
The Yankees won a game at the Trop.
- It’s their first win at Tropicana Field since July 20th, 2011.
The Giants have a higher road ERA than the Rockies.
- The Rockies have allowed 460 runs this season (prior to today’s game); only one other team (the Twins) has allowed more than 400 (420).
In their last seven games, the Red Sox, who faced the A’s and Seattle Mariners, went 2-5.
- The vaunted Red Sox offense scored just 14 runs in that time (including David Ortiz’s 400th home run), and scored over two runs only once in those seven games.
– On Monday the Sox were just a game out of second place in the AL East; now they’re back in last place.
— To add insult to injury, nine of the twelve RBIs driven in by As players in this series were by former Red Sox.
—- Those former Red Sox hit four home runs over the three-game series, including a Coco Crisp home run and two Brandon Moss home runs.
The Pirates are still in first place
- and the Phillies are still in last.
– The St. Louis Cardinals, who have the best run differential in the NL, remain in third.
Chris Tillman went 8.1 innings, allowing just two unearned runs.
- Yes, this happened against the Mariners, but still! Chris Tillman!
– It’s only Tillman’s fourth career appearance in which he didn’t allow an earned run (the others being 5, 6, and 7.1 innings)
The day after the Brewers blew a six-run eighth-inning lead to the Marlins, they blew a four run lead.
- The Brewers actually lost today, though. Ooops.
– Randy Wolf had his second RBI of the year.
Madison Bumgarner apparently followed Tim Lincecum’s lead from yesterday: 5 IP, 9 H, 7 R/ER, 3 HR.
Since the beginning of May, opponents are hitting over .340 against Jonny Venters.
- Last year, he got a freakish 72.5% groundball rate; this year, he’s allowed six home runs in his last 23.2 innings (again, since May 1).