A.J. Burnett took a no-hitter into the eighth against the Cubs.
- It was broken up by Adrian Cardines, who had just been called up.
– The Cubs, despite all of their losses, have not been no hit since Sandy Koufax in September 1965 (thanks, @jordanbernfield)
Cliff Lee won a game tonight.
- It’s just his second win all season (it’s July 31st!!)
– He now has more wins than Chris Davis…
— (Chris Davis is not a pitcher).
—- Lee also stole a base in the game…
—– And Jimmy Rollins hit an inside-the-park home run.
—— AND Ryan Howard had an infield hit.
——- Also in this game, Kevin Fransden hit his first Major League home run since 2007.
——— Off of Stephen Strasburg.
———- Lee’s hit and SB were also off Strasburg.
———– The Phillies did this without Shane Victorino or Hunter Pence, who they traded today.
Justin Verlander walked in a run.
– He won’t have pitched six innings, since the game’s delayed by rain in the middle of the sixth and Detroit is away.
— This is a shame, because Verlander’s streak of six innings pitched was the longest in MLB.
The Phillies traded Hunter Pence a year after acquiring him.
– Joe Blanton is still a Philly.
— As is Juan Pierre (though we’d be questioning anyone that actually wanted Pierre, even though he’s not having a bad year).
—- The Yankees actually managed to trade Chad Qualls for a living, breathing human being.