Luke Hochevar threw a one-hitter over eight innings against the Rays, with ten strikeouts.
- He didn’t get a decision.
– The Royals did actually win against the red-hot Rays, though.
— Hochevar’s thrown 17 scoreless innings against the Rays this season, and he’s got an ERA over 5.60 against everyone else.
You know who didn’t do so well tonight? Ricky Romero.
- 8 BB, 0 K. You read that right.
– He walked Delmon Young
— with the bases loaded
—- ON FOUR PITCHES.
What do Jason Vargas, Johnny Cueto, AJ Burnett, Gio Gonzalez, and Jered Weaver have in common (besides being pitchers)?
- As many wins since July began as the Astros.
Kevin Youkilis has hit a grand slam for and against the White Sox this year.
- He’s the first player with a grand slam for and against a team in the same season since 1952.
– In the same game, Derek Lowe struck out Paul Konerko.
— And AJ Pierzynski tripled. He has four this year – when he had three TOTAL with the White Sox before this year.
The Red Sox are five games under .500.
- They were shut down offensively by Ervin Santana tonight.
– Aaron Cook DID strike out Mike Trout, though.
— If Seattle wins tonight – and they’ve got Felix on the mound, and they’re playing Cleveland – they will be half a game ahead of Boston.