The Pirates took three of four from the Braves.
- Atlanta was 12-2 entering the series.
– Kris Medlen has been pitching well, but already has more losses than he had all last year.
Barry Zito threw seven shutout innings.
- For the third time this season.
– He had four such starts all last year, and that was the most he had had in a season since joining the Giants.
— By start, he has given up 0, 0, 9, and 0 runs.
—- Buster Posey hit his first homer of the year. It was just the sixth Giants homer in San Francisco this year.
The Royals swept the Red Sox in a doubleheader.
- This doubleheader was at Fenway.
– The Royals haven’t swept a doubleheader since 2008.
— A Red Sox starter gave up over three runs for the first time this year.
—- It was also the first time the Sox as a team allowed more than three runs since April 10th.
Josh Johnson walked Lyle Overbay and Eduardo Nunez with the bases loaded.
- And gave up a home run to Chris Stewart.
– The Blue Jays won anyway.
— Travis Hafner stole a base and attempted to bunt for a hit.
—- Adam Lind walked four times. That’s a new career high.
The Rockies lost at home for the first time all season.
- Didi Gregorius hit his second homer of the year.
– That’s more than Jay Bruce, Torii Hunter, Matt Kemp, Ryan Howard, and Giancarlo Stanton, among many others.
— Gregorius has 13 PAs this year. In his 2000+ PA minor league career, he hit 23 homers and had a .694 OPS.
—- Heath Bell got the win. Again.
—– Bell has more wins than Felix Hernandez, Stephen Strasburg, Cole Hamels, David Price, Matt Cain, James Shields, Chris Sale, and Ian Kennedy.
Five of Anthony Rizzo’s six home runs this year have been two run shots.
- In all five, Starlin Castro was the man on base.
– Milwaukee has now won seven straight after losing eight of their first ten.
The Dodgers won a game in an AL park.
- This despite their starter allowing four runs and not making it through the fifth.
Adam Dunn homered. That’s not surprising in itself, but it was his first hit since April 11th, 34 PAs ago. He’s hitting .108/.159/.262.
Albert Pujols was intentionally walked with no one on base in extra innings.
- Victor Martinez is slugging .182.
– He only has one extra-base hit.
Add Miguel Olivo to the list of Marlins players with more homers than Stanton.
- Olivo hit the team’s sixth homer.
– With his first home run of the year, Olivo is now tied for second on the team.
— Joey Votto didn’t walk.
—- He still got on base three times. He has a .522 OBP.
—– That isn’t the best on his own team.
—— That’s because Shin Soo Choo has a .523 OBP, despite just 11 walks.
——- Choo has been hit by a pitch nine times. Kevin Youkilis (4) is the only other player in the majors with more than three HBPs.
——– No other team has been hit more than nine times total.
The previously 5-10 Rays swept the 12-4 A’s.
- Roberto Hernandez (formerly known as Fausto Carmona) got his first win since 2011.