The Marlins won.
- On a Jeff Mathis walk-off grand slam. It’s the first walk-off home run for the Marlins since May 2012 (thanks to High Heat stats.
– Mathis has hit 36 career home runs over nine seasons. Chris Davis of Baltimore has 31 this season alone.
Gaby Sanchez stole a base.
- In the same inning, Jean Segura got caught stealing.
– The Brewers lost, leading to the Pirates’ ninth win in a row.
— This win—a 14 inning affair— came in part because Vin Mazzaro (who once surrendered 14 earned runs in a relief inning) pitched five scoreless innings in relief, the first time a Pirates reliever has done so since 1919.
Anthony Recker, the backup catcher for the Mets, pitched the ninth inning in the Mets’ loss to the Nationals.
- In the last three days, we had three position players pitching. Hooray!
Yu Darvish getting a win isn’t unpredictable. The fact that it was his first win since May 16 is.
Justin Masterson pitched a CGSO, which was his third this season.
- He had one in his career prior to this year.
– Masterson beat Chris Sale, who himself pitched eight innings and struck out 10.
— There are three outings this year with 8+ IP, 10+ K, and a loss. Chris Sale has two of them.