Happy July 4th to all!
The A’s beat the Cubs when the go-ahead run scored on a passed ball.
- The last game where a team won 1-0 with the only run scoring on a passed ball was exactly 20 years ago today – July 4, 1993 – when the Dodgers beat the Expos. (h/t ESPN Stats and Info)
The Braves lost a home series.
- To the Marlins.
– That’s only their second home series loss of the year.
Adam Jones finally walked again.
The Mets and Diamondbacks played 15 innings.
- In a four-game series, the two teams played today’s 15-inning game, a 13-inning game, and two other games that were rain-delayed for a total of three and a half hours.
– Overall, they played 16 hours and 40 minutes of baseball in this series. This is the longest four-game series since 1989. (h/t ESPN Stats and Info)
— Arizona scored single runs in the top of the 13th and 14th, only to have the Mets tie the game up on solo home runs in the bottom of those innings.
—- Those solo home runs were by Anthony Recker and Kirk Nieuwenhuis. Nieuwenhuis’ was the latest game-tying home run in Mets history.
—– This year, the Mets have already lost three games that lasted fifteen innings or longer.
—— Cliff Pennington had the game-winning hit. He is 8-for-11 with three RBI in extra inning games this season.
——- Speaking of the Mets and long games on the 4th of July, we’d be remiss without mentioning this game.
The Royals were shut out with only two hits through the first five innings of their game against Cleveland.
- They ended up winning 10-7.
– Eric Hosmer has eight home runs in 19 games after having only one in his first 61.
Ian Desmond was intentionally walked -
- to face Bryce Harper.
– It worked.
Cole Hamels won!
- Against the Pirates, to boot.
– Cole did lose, though – Gerrit Cole, the Pirates’ starter.