- The Phillies just made all their outs on the bases in the bottom of the ninth inning in the Phillies/Marlins game. What’s more, all three outs were made by Phillies outfielders (thanks to @CrashburnAlley for that).
– The Marlins lost out on a walk-off because of… a terrible umpire’s call. Sadly, maybe this isn’t so unpredictable.
— Here’s your WPA graph for that game. As ever, thanks to Fangraphs.
- The Orioles just swept the Angels in a three-game set. This is the first time the Orioles have swept the Angels in any series since 2003, and Buck Showalter is now 3-0 as Orioles manager.
- The Twins blew a 6-0 lead to the Rays with two innings to go, the big blow coming on a Jason Bartlett grand slam to tie it. Then, they won anyway.
– This was how the go-ahead run scored.
— Similarly to the Rays, the Tigers were down 4-1 to the White Sox in the bottom of the ninth, tied the game up, and lost anyway.
—- Ryan Rayburn and Don Kelly hit home runs for Detroit.
- Juan Pierre stole his 500th career base today. He also got picked off/caught stealing twice.
Barring something crazy happening, that’s about all that went on today/tonight.